Who are you?
If you're the right candidate for the this position, you have proven success and personal experience overcoming barriers that the program client population is facing, including involvement in gangs and the criminal justice system. We are looking for people who have strong ties to the local community and are able to cultivate positive relationships across cultural, age, and organizational lines. You are comfortable working with high-risk teens and young adults up to 24 years of age. You have flexibility to work nontraditional hours and are available to participate in evening and weekend work activities .
What you’ll be doing…
As an Outreach Worker you will locate and build transformational relationships with youth and young adults involved in gangs, violence and the juvenile justice system and help clients connect to services. Outreach Workers also support youth and young adults impacted by incidents of violence. You will play the essential role of supporting program participants in receiving community-based education, employment and other services that reduce their risk and recidivism.
- Identify and meet youth in the community who require services to reduce their involvement in violence, gangs and the juvenile justice system.
- Receive youth referrals from contracted partners and locate youth within contractually required timeframes to engage them in services, including in court hearings.
- Complete risk and needs assessment on each client and submit in required timeframes.
- Provide information to youth about services that address their needs, goals and barriers.
- Meet with partner agencies on behalf of and/or with youth to advocate for youth successfully securing services.
- Recruit and engage youth in services and opportunities being offered by community partners.
- Retain youth by providing access to opportunities and resources, supporting youth through their enrollment in services, helping youth address and remove barriers when they encounter them.
- Visit clients in institutions, including schools and juvenile justice facilities.
- Enter accurate, timely data into client database.
- Submit required weekly documentation of activities, including calendar, client progress notes, reimbursement forms, assessments, enrollment forms. etc.
Participate in Community Violence Response:
- Complete regularly scheduled community monitoring to meet and engage youth in locations where crime and youth activity are high.
- Observe and track community violence, tension and gang conflicts and communicate information in real time to supervisor, appropriate safety agencies and to Outreach Team in regularly scheduled meetings.
- Be available as needed, including during weekends and evenings, to respond to the needs of the community after incidents of youth violence. This can include supporting youth in detention, the hospital, or at vigils.
- Attend and participate in Community Violence Response Safety Planning meetings.
- Contact youth clients when incidents of youth violence occur to gather information about the incident, ensure clients are safe, and prevent retaliatory violence.
- Provide de-escalation and mediation as required.
- Staff major community event to promote safety and peace.